Washingtonville Middle School Foreign Language Program
What foreign language can I choose in Middle School?
Before entering 7th grade, students will select a foreign language. Students will continue this language in 8th grade.
Washingtonville Middle School Music Program
- Ms. Giorgio – 7th/8th Grade Concert Band Director
- Mr. Groth – 6th Grade Choral Director / General Music
- Ms. Narken – 7th/8th Grade Choral Director / General Music
- Mr. Shackleton – 6th Grade Band Director
- Ms. Skopin – 7th/8th Grade Concert Band Director / General Music
- In 7th grade, students must participate in a music class.
- In 8th grade, students do not have to take a music class. It is optional.
- Only band and/or chorus is available for 8th graders.
What music ensembles/music classes can I be a part of in Middle School?
- Concert Band: We have several bands at the MS in which instrumental students can be a part. You must currently be in a band to select this option. Available for 6th, 7th and 8th-grade students.
- Wind Ensemble: The Wind Ensemble is the select performing instrumental group in the middle school and is open to only 7th and 8th-grade students. Placement is based on audition and the students’ performance in their previous band. Available for 7th and 8th-grade students.
- Select Chorus: Select Chorus is the select performing choral group in the middle school and is open to only 7th and 8th-grade students. Placement is based on audition and the students’ performance in their previous chorus. Available for 7th and 8th graders.
- 7th Grade / 8th Grade Chorus: Chorus is open to all students at the middle school who have a desire to sing. No audition is necessary. Available for 6th, 7th and 8th-grade students.
- 7th Grade General Music: This is a continuation of 6th Grade General Music. Students will also learn how to play the guitar. Available for 7th-grade students.
- Jazz Ensemble: Jazz Ensemble is a club that meets after school. It is open to students in 7th and 8th grade, on any instrument, who are interested in learning to play jazz. Available to 7th and 8th-grade students.
How often will I have music at the middle school?
All of the music classes at the middle school are scheduled during the school day and meet every other day for the entire school year.
Can I be in both Band and Chorus?
Yes, you can! You can take both Band and Chorus but you have to give up 2 strategies classes (in 7th or 8th grade). This strategies class is not a graded class and will not affect your core classes.
What Honor Ensembles are available?
- All County Band/Chorus and Jazz Band: There are opportunities for students to audition for the all-county honor ensembles. 6th graders are welcome to audition for the OCMEA Elementary School All-County Band and Chorus. 7th and 8th-grade musicians may audition for the OCMEA Junior High All-County Band and Chorus
- NYSSMA Solo Festival: Both Chorus and Band students can also participate in a Spring NYSSMA solo festival. There is a small registration fee. Musicians will prepare a solo to play for a judge for evaluation. These scores are used for advanced honor ensembles at the HS and those listed below.
- All County Band/Chorus and Jazz Band: Students with High NYSSMA solo scores may be accepted via application in October into this state-wide ensemble.
FOR STUDENT USE ONLY:
If you are a current 6th-grader, please CLICK HERE to access your
music and language selection form.
If you are a current 7th-grader, please CLICK HERE to access your music selection form.