Required Mallets & Sticks for Snare, Timpani, Marimba, Xylophone, and Bells
You must have in your stick bag for carrying all of your sticks in order to be successful in the high school Band.
What you need:
Minimum required equipment for 9th graders:
- Vic Firth M3 Medium mushroom head mallets for playing marimba.
- Vic Firth T3 (staccato) malletsfor playing timpani
- Vic Firth SD1 (general) sticks for play snare drum
***See below for percussion stick/mallet packages available to save money.
If you already the above add one or more of the below to be able to play more instruments in your section:
- Vic Firth M5 Medium rubber mallets. For playing xylophone and vibraphone
- Vic Firth M14 Soft poly 1 1/8" ball mallets for playing xylophone.
- Vic Firth M6 Hard phenolic 1" ball mallets for playing bells.
- Chromatic pitch pipe for tuning the timpani
These products can be viewed at: http://www.vicfirth.com
Where to purchase these items:
These items can be purchased at any reputable music retailer. Here are some suggestions:
Diefes and Mikolajeski (D&M) - 845-635-1120 or 800-832-8981. Every Friday throughout the school year D&M makes deliveries to our school! Very convenient!
Alto Music - Carpenter Rd, Middletown (right near the OC fairgrounds), 692- 6922. Excellent prices!
Steve Weiss Music http://www.steveweissmusic.com 215-659-0100
They happen to be one of the biggest and most well known percussion suppliers in the country. Everyone on staff is an expert in the field of percussion. They can answer any question you may have. You may purchase these items separately or get the following package they have available:
EP2 Intermediate Educational Pack - stick kit - priced around $70.00
(includes- SD2, M3, M6 and T3) ß *ask if they will replace the
SD2 snare sticks with the SD1 general snare sticks.
You may use substitute quality manufactures if advised by a professional percussionist. Careful, not all music stores know quality percussion equipment. If you have any issues with purchasing these items please contact us.