What is NAHS? The National Art Honor Society (NAHS) is designed specifically for high school students. In 1978, the National Art Education Association began the National Art Honor Society program to inspire and recognize students who have shown an outstanding ability and interest in art. The NAHS strives to aid members in attaining the highest standards in art scholarship, character, and service, and to bring art education to the attention of the school and community.
Membership Requirements. For a complete list of our chapter bylaws: WHS NAHS Complete Bylaws
- Maintain a 93 average in a regular art class.
- Maintain a B (85) cumulative average in all other subjects.
- Pay an annual due of $15.00
- MUST ATTEND ALL MEETINGS: Attendance at all meetings is MANDATORY. If you are absent you must fill out an absentee form outside of Ms. Held's room 121. Place inside box and the Officers will vote whether or not to approve your excuse.
- NAHS General Population Meetings are held once a month on a Thursday. 2018-2019 Meeting dates are as follows and are located in the Middle Cafeteria:
September 20th (current members only), October 25th (first meeting for new members), November 29th, December 20th, January 17th, February 21st, March 21st, April 25th
- Complete 5 hours of community service in the visual arts EACH YEAR. Many opportunities to earn these hours are provided through our fundraisers, art workshops, and other community related events. If you complete community service at an NAHS event/fundraiser you must sign in/out on the NAHS clip board (you no longer need to fill out an community service form for NAHS events). If you complete art-related community service outside of an NAHS event/fundraiser you must fill out an community service form outside of Ms. Held's room 121. Place inside box and the our Secretary will record your hours. Members must:
MUST participate in AT LEAST 50% of our projects/fundraisers/events
Must remain an active artist if your school schedule does not include a visual arts class.
2018-2019 EVENTS, FIELD TRIPS & FUNDRAISERS:
WOOFINGTONVILLE: On Sunday, November 4th from 11am-2pm the Village of Washingtonville's Woofingtonville Dog Parade our NAHS members sold water and face painting (animal themes of course) to help raise money for their upcoming field trips. PHOTOS FROM WOOFINGTONVILLE 2018.
NAHS FALL TRIP TO THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART: On Saturday, November 17th 33 NAHS members and several parents/faculty chaperones attended our field trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Central Park. For photographs from the trip click here: MET Trip Photos
PAINT YOUR OWN HOLIDAY ORNAMENT FUNDRAISER: The National Art Honor Society hosted the 2nd Annual Paint Your Own Holiday Ornament Fundraiser on Saturday, December 1, 2018. We had over 90 participants and sold 79 ornaments. It was a festive and joyful afternoon. The funds raised will help support educational and art related trips and experiences for NAHS members. For photographs from this event: Paint Your Own Holiday Ornament Fundraiser Photos 2018
DECEMBER HOLIDAY CRAFT FAIR SALE AT WHO'VILLE: NAHS sold its hand crafted (by NAHS members) leaf themed candle votives, holiday ornaments and jewelry at the Who'Ville Christmas in the Village Vendor sale on Saturday, December 1, 2018 from 4-7pm in the lot across from Betty's. For photographs from this event: Who'Ville Holiday Craft Sale
GLAZE YOUR OWN BOWL/MUG FUNDRAISER: The National Art Honor Society hosted it's 2nd annual Glaze Your Own Bowl/Mug Fundraiser on Saturday, January 5, 2019. 50% of the proceeds will benefit Empty Bowls WHS (Food Bank of the Hudson Valley & the Country Kids Food Pantry). The other 50% of funds raised will help support educational and art related trips and experiences for NAHS members. For photographs from this event: 2nd Annual Glaze Your Own Bowl/Mug Fundraiser
TAFT ART SHOW 2019: On Friday, February 1, 2019 over 25 of our NAHS members volunteered to make art and showcase their talents at the Taft Annual Art Show. The Taft PTA and parents greatly appreciate the efforts of our honor society. Your willingness to make art with and for the elementary school students brought a great deal of joy to many. Thank you to all who volunteered. Click here for photographs from the event: Taft Art Show 2019
VALENTINE-O-GRAM SALE: The NAHS Annual Valentine-O-Gram Sale was a huge success. We sold all 360 of our hedgehog plushies and raised enough money to pay for the majority of the money we need to pay for the bus for our May 11th field trip to the New York Botancial Garden.
FIELD TRIP TO THE NEW YORK BOTANICAL GARDEN, SATURDAY, MAY 11TH: May 11th Trip to NY Botanical Garden Permission Slip due to Ms. Held by Wednesday, April 24th with $20 payment.
2017-2018 EVENTS, FIELD TRIPS & FUNDRAISERS
NAHS FIELD TRIP TO CENTRAL PARK & THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART: Field Trip to MOMA 2017
NAHS CRAFT SALES: NAHS Holiday Craft Fair 2017
NAHS & EMPTY BOWLS WHS GLAZE YOUR OWN BOWL/MUG FUNDRAISER 2018: NAHS & Empty Bowls WHS Glaze Your Own Bowl/Mug Fundraiser 2018
TAFT ART SHOW: TAFT ART SHOW
NAHS FIELD TRIP TO THE GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM: Guggenheim Field Trip
EMPTY BOWLS WHS DESSERT SOCIAL & FUNDRAISER: Empty Bowls WHS Dessert Social & Fundraiser
NAHS FIELD TRIP TO THE MARIST SILVER NEEDLE FASHION SHOW: Marist Silver Needle Fashion Show
NAHS INDUCTION CEREMONY & ART SHOW AWARDS 2018: NAHS Induction Ceremony & Art Awards 2018
18TH ANNUAL HIGH SCHOOL ARTSHOW, May 11th & 12th: HS Art Show 2018
NAHS END OF THE YEAR PIZZA PARTY & TIE DYE T-SHIRT WORKSHOP: NAHS End of the Year Party 2018