Roles of the Social Worker:
- Provide crisis intervention, counseling services, support, and case management.
- Build trusting relationships with students, families, and school personnel.
- Maintain the confidentiality of student and family.
- Provide home visits/meet families to understand and address barriers to learning.
- Link students and families with school and community resources.
- Encourage families to effectively participate in their child’s education.
- Collaborate with school personnel to assess students’ social / emotional obstacles.
- Help families understand school policies, services, and programs.
- Assist staff to develop student plans for students with academic and behavior problems.
- Educate families on entitlements.
- Develop / facilitate / coordinate prevention activities and intervention strategies.
- Serve on community committees.
- Advocate for the development of healthy decision making skills for both students & parents.
- Provide effective parenting education strategies.
- Promote the employment of productive conflict resolution approaches.
- Arrange services for families in Temporary Housing under McKinney-Vento legislation.
- Outreach for Military Families.