Here are some spelling tips that will help your child:
1. Have your child say the word and spell it aloud.
2. Use various items to allow your child to spell the word. For example: magnetic letters, cheerios, alphabet shaped pretzels, shaving cream, play dough, clay, mini-marshmallows, m & m's, etc.
3. Practice spelling the word aloud, and then spell it in air or on someone's back. After practicing the word this way spell it on paper.
4. Be sure to review the words nightly.
5. Write the words on index cards and play concentration with a twist. Once a pair is matched your child must spell the word without looking at it.
6. Dictate short sentences using the spelling words and have your child write the sentences. Be sure to correct this immediately and go over any errors your child made.
7. Find the words in a magazine and make a collage.
8. E-mail your spelling words to a relative and friend. See how many spelling words you can type.