Mentor Program Goals/Purpose
· Provide guidance and orientation to teachers who are new to the school district
· To provide an opportunity for initially certified teachers to meet their requirement for 175 hours of professional development every five years
· Fulfill the Commissioner’s regulations for a mentoring experience
· Retain teachers in the District and ensure quality teaching and instruction for the students in the District
· Assist new teachers in the development of their teaching abilities and in learning the culture of the school system
· Promote best practices in the school district by sharing the knowledge and expertise of experienced master teachers
· To match each first year teacher to the District with a mentor for one year.
· To provide an on-going professional development program for teachers who are new to the school district
· To provide new teachers with an opportunity for reflective practice
· To provide the opportunity for a new teacher to develop a confidential professional relationship with an experienced professional
Recommendations and Forms Needed for Newly Trained Mentors:
(These forms should be completed after the prospective mentor enrolls in and completes the Mentor Training Program.)
1 recommendation from a tenured WCSD Administrator
3 recommendations from tenured WCSD Teachers, Counselors, School Psychologists, or Social Workers.
Download the forms below. (Use the same form for administrators and WTA members.)