Decoding strategies are techniques students are taught to read unknown words. When reading with your child, please encourage him/her to use the following strategies:
- Look for little words or word parts inside of the larger word.
- Skip the word, read the rest of the sentence and go back to the unknown word.
- Use picture clues.
- Make the sounds of the word and then blend them together.
- See if the word looks similar to one you know (for example~ pay/play).
- Cover up prefixes and suffixes and sound out the main part of the word first.
- Think about what would make sense.