Washingtonville High School offers a variety of opportunities
for students interested in pursuing a course of study in the field of music.
- Concert Choir – (one credit; grades 9, 10, 11, 12). Enrollment in this course is open to any student with a serious interest in singing.Students will experience quality vocal literature in a wide variety of musical styles, while continuously developing their performing and listening skills.
- Chamber Singers – (one credit; grades 10, 11, 12). Students in grades 10 through 12 may enroll in this course by audition.Comprised of our highest achieving vocal musicians, this course will offer performing opportunities in a variety of challenging musical styles.This group typically goes on an annual tour in neighboring states, with performance opportunities along the way.
- Concert Band – (one credit; grades 9, 10, 11, 12.) This Band plays concerts each year and at NYSSMA and provides a wide range of instrumental music experience. An exchange concert highlights the activities.
- Wind Ensemble –(one credit; grades 10, 11, 12.) This Band is made up of our highest achieving instrumental musicians.This group has consistently received Gold and Gold With Distinction Ratings from the New York State School Music Association. This Band typically goes on an annual tour in neighboring states, with performance opportunities along the way.
- Instrumental Lessons – are offered to all students in the Band Program as part of the band credit.
- Vocal Lessons – are offered to all students in the Choral Program as part of the chorus credit.
- Music Theory – this course is geared for those students who have a serious desire to expand their knowledge in the field of music. Band and choral students; as well as students who perform outside of school in the rock, pop, or folk music worlds would benefit greatly from this information. The elements of melody, harmony and rhythm are studied; with the ultimate goal of composition.
- Jazz Ensemble – is an extracurricular activity for the instrumental students who wish to explore the sounds of jazz and improvisation.
- Lab Jazz - is an extracurricular activity for the instrumental student that is new to playing Jazz music.
- Pep Band – loads of fun for the instrumental students. They can enjoy the camaraderie of helping cheer on the varsity football team at home games. (Fall activity)